I started this blog when my daughter was diagnosed with Autism. And then life got in the way. I'm going to try harder this time. With Autism being the epidemic it currently is and being far too common now, hopefully it will be of help to someone newly starting out.
When I wrote the first entry, my daughter didn't say one single word at nearly 3 years old. As she is about to turn 4 in June, she is a new child. She is talking, not as conversational as a 4 year old should be, no. But she knows her letters, numbers, shapes, colors, can spell her name, is beginning to read and talks A TON. She is finally able to request things she wants and she really interacts with her dad and I.
Socialization with her peers is our next tackle. We've tried many things in the last year and I think she is just naturally progressing with age. That is the best kind of progress, natural. I'm sure its a combination of everything we've been doing for a year. Most of it is because of her own hard work. No matter what tests we put her through, she always forgives me.
With her 2 year old brother showing some signs of Autism now, I'm fairly certain we have two on the spectrum. 1 in 88 children, and we have two... I'm giving him more time before I seek a diagnosis because he is different than his sister in a lot of ways. But that could just mean they are in different places on the spectrum and not that he isn't on it.
Maybe this is why I never had that one "thing" that I was really into. Like when you're in highschool and you just KNOW you want to be a teacher or a police officer or whatever. I never had a "thing". I'm an Autism Mom. That's my "thing."
No comments:
Post a Comment